Larry Rosenberg – Being Gay: From Stigma to Spirit
Mr. Larry Rosenberg will be the featured speaker at the upcoming Monday, July 10, 2017 support meeting of PFLAG Sedona/Verde Valley. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Church of the Red Rocks, 54 Bowstring Drive in Sedona, in the Painted Cliffs Hall.
Larry created “The Larry Show” to offer one-man musical shows to help make a better world. Larry performed his “Growing Up Larry” show at the PFLAG Sedona/Verde Valley support meeting on February 9, 2015.
Larry is returning to speak to us on “Being Gay: From Stigma to Spirit,” a presentation he developed that will update us on how he currently understands his body-mind-spirit evolution as a gay man. This journey has included episodes such as:
- His childhood sexual confusion, when he knew he was different than other boys and felt shame about it.
- His soft-porn teenage years, when he didn’t know how to behave gay and feared finding out.
- His living in NYC’s Greenwich Village, where he was scared of his students finding out his “secret,” and battled depression.
- His decision to date women, marry one, and her divorcing him.
- His working and living in Tokyo, Japan, where he actively pursued Japanese men, with a mixed track record.
- His finding at last, after a health crisis at 60, a physical-mental-spiritual path to release his negative past, accept and love himself, and create an entirely new life in Sedona – where nature and community nourished his spiritual growth, and resulted in his launching his current life mission via “The Larry Show.”
While Larry’s presentation will mainly be telling us about the turning points of his life story, he will NOT be able to resist putting on a few costumes, sharing gritty humor, and bursting into an occasional song! So, expect a wild, warm and wonderful experience when Larry shares, with honesty and flair, his life’s total (including gay) journey with us!
Larry Rosenberg was born in Philadelphia in 1943 and raised there. He has had a versatile and varied life! He was a marketing professor at New York University and University of Massachusetts Amherst, a management trainer at University of Maryland University College in Tokyo (with assignments around the world), a free-lance business consultant in Washington, DC and Asia, and a public relations specialist in holistic health in Sedona, where he also began his retirement.
In 2014 at age 71, Larry started the “The Larry Show” (www.TheLarryShow.com), which is a combination of his life’s lessons learned (wisdom) and outrageous entertainment to help people heal, grow and share, in order to foster a world of greater love, joy and peace. Based on his fascinating life, various versions of his two, one-man musical-comedy shows – “Growing Up Larry” and “Larry’s Cabaret Show” – have been staged in America, Australia and Scotland.
Please join us for this entertaining and inspirational evening! All are welcome to attend.
As an added note, the Board of PFLAG Sedona/Verde Valley recently voted to adopt a non-profit organization each quarter that we can help support. For the upcoming quarter, our organization is the Yavapai Food Council. Please help us support this organization that provides food to the needy in Sedona and the Verde Valley. We will be accepting non-perishable food (no glass containers and no expired food) donations at our July 10, August 14, and September 11, 2017 support meetings.
Board members from PFLAG Sedona/Verde Valley will be delivering the donated items collected to the Yavapai Food Council.